Newport, now part of MKS Instruments, is the world’s largest photonics company providing innovative solutions and industry-leading product brands to multiple markets. Our combined product portfolio includes Corion®, ILX Lightwave™, New Focus™, Ophir, Oriel® Instruments, Richardson Gratings™, and Spectra-Physics® Lasers. We provide complete photonic solutions to make, manage and measure light.
The Senior EHS Specialist is responsible for assisting in the development, implementation and management of the Company’s Environmental Health and Safety Program. This position will coordinate compliance efforts for all applicable federal, state and local regulations related to environmental, health, safety and transportation for all Company locations. The Sr. EHS Specialist will also be responsible for helping to providing consultation support to all other domestic and offshore Company locations and coordinating all EHS reporting for the Company.
Position Details and Responsibilities:
- Assist in development, coordination, and the implementation of the Corporate policies regarding EHS
- Provides technical support and information in the development of key metrics and objectives for EHS
- Assist in the development and administration of programs to ensure compliance with all federal, state and local regulations related to environmental, health, safety and transportation that are applicable to the Company’s locations supported by the role.
- Provides advice and guidance to operational and functional staff organizations regarding current and anticipated EHS issues
- Ensures collection and reporting of information from Company locations as required to meet Corporate and Governmental reporting requirements in addition to ensuring a uniform level of performance
- Facilitates sharing of EHS resources and processes between Company locations
- Develops and implements training programs as required by EHS Programs, and monitors their performance to ensure that all required training is performed and is effective
- Assists in reviews of major plans and specifications for new operations, construction or demolition, equipment or facility purchases. This is to ensure that all appropriate EHS requirements are considered and addressed
- Works with local supervisors to implement all activities with respect to area safety audits
- Works with local supervision to implement all EHS Programs, such as management of hazardous chemicals and the use of personal protection equipment
- Ensures that all departments use proper procedures for hazardous and non-hazardous waste disposal
- Works directly with first line supervision and management to implement the EHS Program in an effective manner
- Leads incident investigations and root cause corrective action plans and corrective action implementation
- Provides EHS leadership, direction & influence for site supervision and management to integrate EHS responsibilities into daily work processes & procedures
- Performs audits in order to evaluate the effectiveness of local programs. Provides audit & action plan follow-up/assistance
- Out of state travel is estimated at 20%, limited international travel may be necessary
Position Requirements & Background Experience Sought:
- BS Degree in Environmental Management, Safety Engineering, Occupational or Environmental Health or a related field is preferred.
- 3 - 5 years minimum of related experience in the areas of Environmental, Health and Safety
- Knowledge & experience in Federal OSHA regulations, including the development and implementation of compliance programs and worker training
- Knowledge & experience in Federal EPA, state and local environmental regulations, including the management of hazardous and universal wastes, stormwater and community right to know reporting requirements and employer obligations
- Knowledge & experience with Federal DOT, state and local transportation regulations, including the management of the receipt and shipping of hazardous materials
- Knowledge and/or experience with various continuous improvement methodologies or standards (i.e. ISO, Lean/5S/Six Sigma, Behavior Based Safety)
- Strong communication & interpersonal skills
- Strong presentation and organizational skills
- Strong analytical & problem solving skills
MKS Instruments, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. We solicit and hire applicants regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, veteran status, or any other protected category. Our policy is to employ the most qualified applicants. We conduct background checks and drug screens, in accordance with company policies and federal and state guidelines.