LIFE. POWERED BY YOU.
Are you looking to make a difference in your career? We’re working on smarter grids, cleaner energy and tools to help people manage energy more efficiently.
Southern California Edison’s Environmental Services Department (ESD) is a portfolio of divisions that provide environmental compliance services to all the operating units across SCE. Within the Environmental Services Department, the Major Environmental Projects Division provides management of the planning, siting, licensing, permitting, construction, and consultant services for SCE electrical infrastructure projects throughout the project lifecycle.
The successful candidate will work as a Senior Environmental Project Manager within the Planning, Permitting and Special Projects Section to secure environmental authorizations and/or permits from agencies or municipalities, and provide interdisciplinary expertise in the CEQA, NEPA, and other regulatory processes supporting small to complex large projects supporting SCEs electrical infrastructure. The Senior Environmental Project Manager maintains relationships with local, state and federal agencies, and provides environmental compliance and strategy for projects and programs to all levels of leadership within SCE.
This position manages projects and programs that require environmental analysis, oversight, and leadership to facilitate environmental strategy and compliance. The successful candidate will be responsible and accountable for managing the company’s environmental compliance projects/programs for all CEQA/NEPA disciplines, such as: Aesthetics, Agriculture, Air Quality, Biological Resources, Cultural Resources, Geology, Hazardous Materials, Hydrology, Land Use, Noise, Population, Recreation, Transportation, and other resources. This position is also responsible for managing and acquiring environmental permits such as Coastal Development Permits and the management of contractors developing such environmental documents on behalf of SCE. The position collaborates with other operating units within Edison to effectively implement project and program compliance requirements.
Typical Responsibilities include:
- Act as ESD environmental compliance lead and contact with other SCE organizations with regard generation, distribution, transmission, and substation projects.
- Manage multi-disciplinary technical teams and external consultants to perform environmental analysis supporting project development, permitting and implementation.
- Manage environmental aspects of CPUC GO 131-D environmental process to maximize opportunity for project exemptions from licensing requirements.
- Act as Senior Environmental Project Manager on SCE projects during all phases of development, including planning, siting, licensing, permitting, and construction.
- Provide consultation with SCE mid-level and senior leadership with respect to environmental compliance that guides SCEs long term goals.
- Provide strategic recommendations and highlight risk regarding intent of environmental laws and regulations to support SCE project licensing and execution.
- Act as an environmental subject matter expert on any assigned program/project answering technical and policy related inquiries.
- Develop and manage environmental technical consultant contracts, Request for Proposals (RFP), Purchase Orders (PO) and Change Orders (CO).
- Manage and document project budget and status for reporting requirements.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Must have a Bachelor’s Degree in an environmental, project management, planning or related discipline.
- Must have a minimum of five years of experience preparing environmental documents pursuant to NEPA, CEQA or other regulations related to project siting, permitting, licensing and/or construction.
- Must have a minimum of seven years of program, project, supervisory and/or contract management experience.
- Demonstrated ability to follow Edison safety protocols and safe work practices.
- Master’s degree in an environmental, project management, planning or related discipline.
- Experience working on distribution, transmission, generation, and substation projects
- Project Management certification, preferred.
- Experience using GIS,
- Strong oral and written communication skills with the ability to clearly communicate data, context, and implications to management and stakeholders.
- Demonstrated strategic planning and project management skills including effective budget planning and business writing.
- Demonstrated experience leading projects and ensuring action items are completed on or before deadlines.
- Demonstrated proficiency with the following software tools: Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point, Microsoft Visio, Access and Project.
- Must demonstrate the ability to integrate work across relevant areas, manage risks appropriately, develop and execute business plans, manage information, and provide exceptional service to internal and external customers.
- Must demonstrate effective resource and project planning, decision making, results delivery, team building, and the ability to stay current with relevant technology and innovation.
- Must demonstrate strong ethics, influence and negotiation, leadership, interpersonal skills, communication, and the ability to effectively manage stress and engage in continuous learning.
- This position currently reports to an office in Irwindale but may move to Rosemead in Q2 of 2017.
- Candidates for this position must be legally authorized to work directly as employees for any employer in the United States without visa sponsorship.
- Policy Statement for Protected Veterans and Individuals with Disabilities
LIFE. POWERED BY EDISON.
Southern California Edison, an Edison International (NYSE:EIX) company, serves a population of nearly 14 million via 5 million customer accounts in a 50,000-square-mile service area within Central, Coastal and Southern California. Join the utility leader that is safely delivering reliable, affordable electricity to our customers for over 125 years.
Southern California Edison is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer, Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran/Gender Identity/Sexual Orientation
If you require special assistance or accommodation while seeking employment with Southern California Edison, please call Human Resources at (800) 500-4723, and choose option 3 for the Employee Information Center. Representatives are available Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., Pacific time, except Wednesdays when the center closes at 2:30 p.m., and holidays, or (800) 352-8580 (Telecommunications device for the hearing impaired - TTY).