Discover the opportunity to join an international, dynamic, and responsible company that fosters the development of our people around the world. We want to be the best – to use our leading market positions to deliver a leading performance – and for that, we need YOU! Find out how our values make AkzoNobel the employer of choice.
AkzoNobel Inc.–has an outstanding opportunity for a Senior Ecotoxicologist. This position will be an internal expert in the field of ecotoxicology and provide support, knowledge and solutions in connection with testing for global registrations, risk assessments, exposure scenario development and new product development.
This position is located in Chicago, IL. Relocation will be considered for the right candidate.
- Provide input to the development of policy, procedures and guidelines across functions in line with business needs, PSRA strategies and policies, to relevant legislation and standards
- Identify new developments and trends, translate these into practical procedures and/or opportunities for own area/domain
- Set up, plan and ensure the execution of (scientific) experiments; analyze, interpret and report results and translate obtained findings and knowledge
- Keep current with internal and external developments and ensure development, transfer and retention of knowledge and best practices
- Manage large sized projects; ensure execution and delivery, using own area of expertise
- Formulate and present possible solution directions and issue advice at request or at own initiative; often for a variety of businesses
- Build, maintain and exploit a network of relevant (inter)national stakeholders, represent AN in (inter)national conferences and ensure an optimal representation of the organization
- Coach junior colleagues and other professionals in the own field of expertise
- Critically analyzing, contributing to and writing reports and scientific papers
- Perform environmental exposure calculations with appropriate models (e.g. EUSES) or scientifically justified alternatives
- Responsible for independently carrying out environmental risk assessments and potential refinements
- Able to compile scientifically based (cost-effective) testing strategies, present and defend them
- Support the Business Units I customers for all ecotoxicological aspects of preparation of global regulatory dossiers and in consortia (as dossier leader)
- Advise on the environmental profile of a substance or product
- Contribute to the longer-term strategy of the team
- Contribute and advise on environmental strategies for the ecotox-group, the BU’s (applications) and the company
- Academic background in biological science/ecotoxicology with a PhD + 5 years /MSc + 15 years of experience in the chemical industry in regulatory ecotoxicology
- Have a wide regulatory, industrial and academic network
- Proven experience in hazard and risk assessments for regulatory purposes
- Proven knowledge of environmental exposure models used for regulatory purposes
- Profound knowledge of global regulatory requirements and its influence on business and able to communicate complex environmental matters simply to business personnel
- Knowledge of test methods used in ecotoxicology including higher tier testing
- Excellent interpersonal communication and influencing skills. Able to network and cooperate with people inside and outside AkzoNobel
- Business and solution oriented mindset (able to think ‘beyond the protocol’ in problem solving)
- Strong analytical and organizational skills, able to work independently
- Flexible and adaptable to the needs of a changing work environment
- A thorough understanding of QSARs, their creation and application
- Experience with IUCLID database a plus
Employment at AkzoNobel is contingent upon the successful completion of both a pre-employment background check and a drug screening. In some case, pre-employment physicals may also be required.
All candidates hired must be able to provide proper documentation of their eligibility to work in the US.
AkzoNobel is an E-Verify Employer - AkzoNobel is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Minorities / Females/ disabled/Veterans