Provide safety leadership and strategic direction to the facility through the application of the Market Based Management® (MBM®) Framework and Guiding Principles. Create real value for the organization by ensuring risk is aggressively identified and mitigated. Develop and align facility S&H strategies consistent with company/division S&H vision and strategies. Drive safety excellence and performance improvement through real culture change and effective, sustainable management systems. Ensure leaders and employees are trained and equipped to manage safety. Reports directly to the facility manager, with a dotted-line reporting relationship to the Division S&H Manager.
A Day In The Life Typically Includes:
Responsibilities & Expectations:
- Provide leadership and direction in establishing and achieving a meaningful S&H vision and effective strategies through management commitment and employee ownership.
- Participate in the selection and development of talent throughout the facility’s organization.
- Facilitate S&H ownership and accountability by the line organization through:
- The establishment and communication of clearly defined roles, responsibilities, and expectations.
- Active and effective coaching by management and supervision.
- Employee understanding, acceptance, and use of challenge process and decision rights.
- Drive safety excellence by creating an MBM® culture and developing/implementing risk and compliance management systems.
- Lead the development and use of risk assessment methods/systems for anticipating, identifying, and evaluating hazards. Drive and assist with the mitigation of identified gaps, weaknesses, and improvement opportunities.
- Actively manage all aspects of compliance (e.g., OSHA, company standards). Ensure ownership resides with the appropriate roles within the organization.
- Ensure facility risk profile is addressed through development/implementation of key controls.
- Recommend and facilitate engineering/design changes to eliminate or reduce risk (e.g., machine guarding, ergonomics, traffic, fire/explosion, noise, upset conditions).
- Drive flawless execution, assessment, and improvement of critical safe work practices.
- Support all phases of capital and major expense projects to ensure safe execution (e.g., design review, contractor selection/orientation/auditing, work plans/permits, pre-startup review).
- Identify S&H development and training needs.
- Ensure a system exists to develop, manage, deliver, track, and document needed and required training.
- Ensure training is provided by properly qualified persons, and that training is effective (e.g., though documented demonstration of competency).
- Actively share and seek out knowledge (e.g., best practices, lessons learned, franchising of S&H programs).
- Ensure change is identified, and proactively and effectively managed.
- Drive continuous improvement through the use of tool and activities, including: self-assessments and audit processes; incident/near miss investigations; metrics and targets (leading and lagging indicators); and periodic reviews of performance, culture, and talent.
- Effectively communicate facility S&H vision, strategies, and performance to internal and external stakeholders.
- Utilize training and development plans to grow S&H knowledge and skills.
What You Will Need:
- Bachelor’s degree in safety, industrial hygiene, engineering, or related field.
- 5 years minimum S&H experience in an industrial or manufacturing environment.
What Will Put You Ahead?
- CSP or CIH, or demonstrated progress towards achieving certification.
- Demonstrated experience in leading culture change and developing/implementing management systems.
Why Work For GP?
- A culture that places top priority on integrity and compliance
- Opportunity for career growth at one of the largest, financially stable companies in the world
- Encouragement to challenge the status quo and share knowledge
- Responsibilities and rewards based on contributions
- Continued company growth due to reinvesting 90% of our earnings
- Competitive pay and benefits that help you manage your personal and financial wellness
Want to learn more about Georgia-Pacific?
We're part of your everyday life. From the walls of your home to the Dixie® plates on your table, the boxes at your local grocery store or the Quilted Northern® in your bathroom, there's a good chance a Georgia-Pacific product is nearby. We need people like you: People who can help us make life's simple necessities better.
Salary and benefits commensurate with experience. We are an equal opportunity employer. Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran Except where prohibited by state law, all offers of employment are conditioned upon successfully passing a drug test.
This employer uses E-Verify. Please visit the following website for additional information: www.kochcareers.com/doc/Everify.pdf