The Safety Director provides leadership and critical control of all strategic and day-to-day aspects of safety. Responsibilities include to develop, implement and lead the company’s safety initiatives and safety loss control programs and to assure regulatory compliance and construction standards. This leader exhibit an unwavering commitment to safety and embodies the leadership qualities necessary to develop and fulfill our corporate commitment to send our employees home safely every day.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Implement awareness/branding campaigns and techniques to facilitate creation and maintenance of a safety culture.
- Deploy and lead proactive processes, systems, tools and metrics to drive continuous safety improvement and optimize safety performance.
- Provide leadership and oversight for our values-based safety program.
- Promote and improve a behavioral based safety culture Foster a proactive safety culture by empowering employees to behave safely throughout the company.
- Supports corporate to implement safety controls to minimize safety and occupational health hazards.
- Provides leadership and facilitates company safety committee.
- Implement communication plan to implement safety programs and promote safety awareness through internal company memoranda, newsletters, meetings and specific training programs.
- Prepares and maintains written safety programs and policies.
- Develop, collect and report performance metrics and regularly brief senior leadership regarding status of company-wide safety compliance.
- Lead and manage the Safety department staff by developing a high-performing and functioning team.
- Participates in new product reviews, process safety analyses, and operator training.
- Collaborate with the Executive Team to set strategic safety direction and develop an operating plan.
- Understand and interpret leading and lagging safety indicators to measure and improve the company’s safety culture and performance.
- Develop and manage annual budget and safety goals for safety initiatives and programs.
- Implement oversight process to understand, monitor, effectively communicate and ensure ongoing compliance with all applicable federal, state and local safety and environmental regulations and contract requirements.
- Address specific OSHA reporting and record keeping requirements, other pertinent safety and regulatory requirements, and ensure product quality and process/certification compliance (i.e. GHS, SDS and MSDS information).
- Prepare perform audit schedule, document findings and implement process changes.
- Develop and facilitate crisis management education to ensure all employees understand their role in the event of a crisis.
- Maintain and update the Crisis Management Plan handbook to ensure emergency preparedness.
- Possess a deep understanding to effectively communicate to lead the company through the Crisis Management Plan in the event of a crisis, including post-accident incident/accident management and emergency preparedness.
Project/Job Site Safety:
- Develop, review, and enforce company and site-specific safety policies and procedures and ensure work activities are performed safely and in compliance with applicable company polices and regulations.
- Schedule and conduct regular job site visits and perform safety audits. Review findings with field leaders and employees to reduce risk and improve workplace safety.
- Monitor and reviews field safety meeting minutes, training, and safety inspection reports.
- Compile management reports addressing the efforts and effectiveness of reducing workplace hazards.
- Facilitate incident investigation, root cause analysis, site remediation, and closure of corrective actions.
- Manage the worker’s compensation program, including claims management, work restrictions, and light duty.
- Investigate, complete First Report of Injury, and report all incidents to Creative Risk Solutions, our claims administrator.
- Develop, implement and manage the return-to-work program.
- Manage the post-accident process; complete workplace injury reports, investigate the cause, and monitor lost-time injury and illness related worker’s compensation claims.
- Identify, develop and facilitate safety training programs to ensure employees have the applicable training to safety perform tasks in compliance with all safety regulations, company policies and customer requirements.
- Implement and facilitate onboarding education to prepare new employees to safely enter the workplace.
- Promote safety awareness through identification, selection and proper use of personal protective equipment (PPE).
- Provide continuing education on the values based safety program.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Comprehensive technical knowledge of all federal, state and local construction-related safety regulations and standards (i.e. OSHA, DOT, EPA, GHS, MSHA).
- Competent to recognize hazardous situations and implement corrective actions.
- Effectively communicate, generate professional written material, deliver valuable verbal presentations, build relationships, and influence others.
- Strong customer focus and ability to work with internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to work under pressure, stay organized, and continuously meet deadlines.
- Competent to work independently, take initiative, set priorities and see projects through to completion.
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office applications and mobile technologies.
- A mature leader who maintains a professional appearance and demeanor and demonstrates positive attitude, integrity, and social/cultural awareness and sensitivity.
- Excellent teamwork with collaboration and consensus-building skills.
- Highly developed problem solving, analytical, and decision making skills.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in safety-related discipline plus 10+ years of progressive safety leadership experience is required, preferably in the construction industry, or the equivalent of education and experience to meet the essential functions of the position.
- Professional certification preferred (CSP, ASP).
- Must have valid driver’s license, safe driving record, and proof of insurance.
- Primarily in an office environment with time spent in the field visiting job sites.
- Must be able to sit and stand for extended periods of time, walk on uneven surfaces, and bend.
- Must be able to effectively operate standard office equipment, mobile devices, safety equipment, monitoring devices and cameras.
- Some travel required to remote job sites, mostly day trips.
- Must be available to be on call for crisis management and emergencies.
Journey Group is an equal opportunity employeer