Layne is a global water management, construction and drilling company, providing responsible solutions for water, mineral and energy resources.
Our philosophy of responsible growth guides us in consistently doing the right thing for our people, the environment, our company and the clients we serve every day. We strive to leave the individuals and places we touch better off for their interaction with us, and our culture is embodied in our unwavering commitment to the four core values that define us: Safety, Sustainability, Integrity and Excellence.
The HSE Specialist directs implementation and management of HSE systems, processes, policies and tools for assigned area; Drives ownership, responsibility and accountability for HSE while strategically planning and aligning activities across departments and work crews; Communicates effectively in order to drive implementation and change in support of the consistent implementation and compliance to the HSE Manual, trend and measure the HSE leading and lagging indicators; Manages and supports HSE to continuously drive to a zero incident workplace.
- Directs implementation and management of HSE systems, process, policies and tools for assigned area.
- Coaches, demonstrates and leads HSE systems and tools while maintaining consistency and alignment with the corporate HSE manual as well as any OSHA, MSHA, EPA or other applicable government agencies and regulatory compliance.
- Tracks and trends KPIs; Communicates & plans with management in assigned area to proactively assist with gaps.
- Assists in all aspects of incident investigation; verifying root cause, and verifying that recommended corrective actions are adequate to address the root cause findings.
- Assists in Internal Audits as applicable and participates in internal audit closing meetings, assists with the development of corrective actions, implementation of approved actions and follow-up for effectiveness after completion.
- Responsible for continuous assessment of HSE Dashboard data to monitor leading and lagging indicators and incident/injury/illness submissions to verify that the information is complete and reported to all key stakeholders as required; follows up to determine the extent of medical treatment provided to injured crewmembers to assist with proper incident classification.
- Ensures that all required regulatory and customer reporting is completed accurately, approved and submitted in a timely manner
- Drafts HSE Bulletins, policies, procedures and guidelines; stays current on regulatory and customer developments in the field of HSE and the Construction Industry; develops site specific HSE Plans or HSE Bridging Documents when requested
- Ensures emergency response systems, policies and procedures are in place to manage emergency situations.
- Communicates with representatives of regulatory agencies to resolve compliance issues and provide requested information.
- Identifies, recommends and ensures employees receive appropriate training.
- Extensive travel to field sites required.
Position Qualifications Requirements/Preferences:
- Associate or Bachelor’s Degree in Health Safety Environmental filed preferred.
- Must have 5+ years of HSE professional experience in the construction industry, including 2+ years in a supervisory role.
- Must have working knowledge of HSE Management Systems and Microsoft Office (Word, Excel).
- Proficient knowledge of OSHA, MSHA, DOT, EPA and other applicable government agencies required.
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to effectively interact with all levels within the company.
- Experience working in a matrix organization preferred.
- Strong organizational, analytical, problem solving and decision-making skills required.
- Must have excellent leadership, change management, interpersonal, team-building and influencing skills.
- Must have the ability to research, analyze, interpret and implement safety/environmental/health regulations, standards, and best practices as they pertain to facilities and operations.
An Equal Opportunity. M/F/D/V Employer. Drug Free/Smoke Free