At our Joffre site, near Red Deer, Alberta, we are seeking an individual to join our Environment and Regulatory Team to assist the Manufacturing West facilities in ongoing environmental performance improvement. This role will be responsible for being the interface between the operating unit and the environmental team.
Role and Responsibilities:
As the unit environmental specialist, you will be working collaboratively with the Environmental Specialists and others in the operating unit to provide sustainable solutions and identify proactive improvement opportunities.
The key areas of responsibility include but are not limited to:
- Apply relevant Responsible Care standards, policies and procedures
- Support NOVA Chemicals sustainability initiatives and develop and promote environmental improvement
- Work with multi-discipline teams (eg. operations, maintenance, engineering, leadership, regulators, etc.) and build positive relationships
- Coach and assist others in the interpretation and application of related policies, procedures and regulations
- Maintain emission calculations for the plant, including completion of tasks, validation of data, and identification of new calculations or required changes
- Maintain unit specific environmental procedures and incorporation of environmental content in appropriate unit procedures
- Coordinate unit concerns (soil/groundwater, air, waste, etc.) including improvement ideas and awareness
- Collaborate with environmental program specialists regarding work in the plants: scheduling, work notifications, unit orientations, equipment operation, etc.
- Provide additional support to the Environment and Regulatory Team including but not limited to field work and data analysis involving noise monitoring, soil, groundwater, waste and surface/potable water, wildlife management
The successful candidate will possess:
- Bachelor of Science degree (preference Environmental Science)
- 7-10 years of direct experience in an applicable or related industrial or manufacturing environment
- Preference will be given to candidates’ whose most recent experience is in environmental management/monitoring
- Must have experience supporting an operations team in a plant environment
- Previous experience supporting multi discipline teams in a plant and/or industrial setting
- Previous experience with Air quality – emission calculations and greenhouse gas reporting
- Excellent communication and organizational skills as demonstrated with previous employers
- Comfortable interacting with internal and external audiences, with the ability to take initiative to build positive relationships
- Demonstrated analytical and troubleshooting skills
- Ability to interpret technical documentation and apply general knowledge of environmental monitoring principles
- Self-motivated, focused on results, with the ability to work independently as well as collaborate with others
- Ability to adapt to new situations and challenges and embrace change and new ideas
NOVA Chemicals develops and manufactures chemicals, plastic resins and end-products that make everyday life safer, healthier and easier. Our employees work to ensure health, safety, security and environmental stewardship through our commitment to sustainability and Responsible Care®. NOVA Chemicals, headquartered in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, is a wholly owned subsidiary of The International Petroleum Investment Company (IPIC) of the Emirate of Abu Dhabi.
The NOVA Chemicals Joffre Site is located in Central Alberta, near Red Deer(Alberta’s third largest city). The Joffre Site is recognized as the largest combined ethylene/polyethylene manufacturing site in North America, and one of the largest in the world. Focus at the site is placed on operations excellence, plant availability and effective capital execution. Attention is also placed on the integration of technology while implementing and optimizing.
The Joffre site provides a wealth of recreational and social opportunities in the surrounding areas, as well as various educational options for children through advanced learning.
NOVA Chemicals’ flexible benefit programs are designed to meet the diverse needs of our employees, because when it comes to benefits, everyone has different priorities. Our benefits offerings will vary based on your work location, and are an element of the “Total Rewards” package used to reward employees.