ESIS®, Inc. (ESIS) provides sophisticated risk management services designed to help reduce clients’ total cost of loss. ESIS is part of ACE USA, the U.S.-based retail operating division of the ACE Group of Companies, headed by ACE Limited (NYSE: ACE). ESIS’ Health, Safety, & Environmental Services (ESIS HSE) operates around the globe with offices in Canada, US, UK, Europe, Malaysia, China, and Singapore.
ESIS HSE is a national consulting practice specializing in comprehensive environmental consulting and occupational hygiene services. The division provides a full range of environmental assessment, remedial, and compliance services, and is an established leader in industrial hygiene and asbestos and lead-based paint, and microbial management services.
CONTRACT POSITION: Duration 1-2 months
Working independently or within a consulting team arrangement, a Staff Scientist is responsible for the following core responsibilities:
- Perform Hazardous Material Surveys, with emphasis on Asbestos, Lead and Other Hazardous Materials
- Conduct Asbestos Abatement Project Monitor and IAQ sampling
- Complete ASTM Phase I/II environmental site assessments
- Interfaces with clients and supervises subcontractors to achieve project goals.
- Preparation of reports, including review of background materials; creation of figures, plates and tables; and writing of text, recommendations, conclusions and proposals
- Involved with construction administration activities including:
- Review and approval of contractor submittals.
- Processing of change orders.
- Processing contractor payment requests.
- Conducting a pre-bid Site/Tour Meeting.
- Conducting a pre-job Pre-Construction Meeting.
- Train new technical and professional field staff
- Coordinates and supervises other staff involved and participating in the same project.
- Attends site visits with Project Managers and prepares portions of proposals.
- Other project duties as assigned by senior staff personnel of a consulting team.
- Act as client’s representative in areas of expertise where ESIS HSE has a valid contract to do so, recommend additional services to clients to protect their interests. In emergency situations, recommend remedial actions to the client or contractors, including, if necessary, stopping work when public health or safety are jeopardized.
- Seek opportunities to expand client services with existing and new clients as part of ongoing business development.
- Evaluate contractor performance and advise client.
- Interface with and respond to regulatory and enforcement agencies at the job site and when appropriate provide requested information to them depending upon issue involved.
- Maintain chain of custody of sampling activity, analytical data, project recordkeeping (log book) in accordance with regulatory requirements and ESIS HSE’s recordkeeping responsibilities.
- Maintain proficiency and understanding in the use of scientific instruments and sampling protocols to ensure valid sample collection and reliable data analysis in compliance with regulations.
- Maintain high ethical standards in the performance of professional services, understand the ethical standards of client and report actual or perceived unethical conduct or behavior.
- Understand the details of the project schedule and scope of work, and provide supporting information to Project Managers when change orders may be required.
- Advise client/owner as to the progression of work, proposed changes to the scope of work and contractor performance with respect to project schedule.
- Maintain required certifications mandated by the regulations and take an active recall in maintaining respiratory fitness through the ESIS HSE’s medical surveillance program.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Specific duties or tasks of the Staff Scientist include the following:
- As with any professional, work is subject to peer and management review as part of a quality assurance program to avoid risk and company liability.
Position Qualifications / Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Geology, Engineering, Environmental Science, or related environmental field.
- Minimum of two years hands on experience in technical activities directly related to Environmental Risk business
- Prefer 3-5 years of experience as a licensed asbestos building inspector and abatement project monitor, with contractor management skills.
- Must possess PHI/PHII Environmental Site Assessment Experience
Knowledge & Skills:
- Understanding of building engineering and structural design knowledge of site planning.
- Must be able to make independent, on-site judgments based upon professional experience to advise or recommend to contractors alternative ways of performing work subject to specified cost and regulatory compliance.
- Must be able to perform tasks pertinent to primary field of expertise
- Must be capable of making appropriate modifications in procedures based on observations and data
- Knowledge of computer operations and standard software packages, Microsoft Office Suite (word processing, spreadsheets, databases) required.
- Knowledge of contracts, contract interpretation and scope of work
- Special: Position normally will require Health & Safety certification pursuant to OSHA 29 CFR 1910.120