At Johns Manville, we protect our employees, families, customers and the world around us. We seek a team member who wants to help us protect today to ensure tomorrow. The Edison, New Jersey facility produces PVC fitting covers and jacketing for use with Micro-Lok as well as other types of pipe insulation.
As the Environmental, Health and Safety Specialist, you will be responsible for leading the health, safety and environmental functions at the Edison plant. The EH&S Specialist's focus is to ensure effective management of EH&S systems while maintaining a safe workplace and compliance with applicable health, safety and environmental regulations. This position reports to the Plant Manager and will be part of the plant team as well as work closely with the corporate EH&S teams.
- Assures compliance with the company's EH&S standards and existing federal, state and local environmental regulations.
- Coordinates site/plant-wide safety audits and analyze results.
- Develops, implements, maintains, and assures quality of site/plant safety, health and Environmental programs.
- Develops and conducts employee training on site/plant safety, health and environmental programs.
- Provides accurate, cost-effective and timely technical and regulatory compliance support to plant.
- Ensures the proper characterization and management of hazardous/universal wastes, and lead a plant-wide effort to eliminate solid waste by reducing process wastes, reusing, and recycling, various materials.
- Maintains a chemical inventory for the facility and files any required reports under EPCRA Tier I/II
- Facilitates incident investigations, root cause analysis and corrective actions.
- Facilitates the Job Hazard Analysis process with operators and supervisors.
- Recommends improvements in processes, design, procedures, and operating equipment, to minimize the hazard potential.
- Establishes and implements plant-wide safety communications to ensure employees are aware of potential hazards and unsafe conditions.
- Represent the company with state and federal agencies as required.
- Provide regulatory interpretation and technical advice.
- Establishes and maintains program to ensure that operating permits are in order for all sources of air emissions.
- Monitors and minimizes risk from chemical, physical and biological hazards that could be present in the work area.
- Drive and coordinate participation as an effective leader of Safety and Health Committee / sub-committees.
- Trains and oversees all personnel involved in emergency procedures, and handling of hazardous materials and wastes, ensures our communities and employees are aware of the potential hazards created by plant operations.
- Monitors & Controls source materials to prevent storm water pollution maintaining compliance with federal, state, and local regulations.
- Maintains Safety, Environmental, and health databases
- Bachelor's degree in in Safety, Engineering, or related technical or sciences field (such as chemistry, biology, physics, environmental management, etc.) If degree is unrelated to those above, a minimum of 10 years of relevant safety and environmental experience is required.
- Minimum of 5-7 years or experience in a manufacturing safety and environmental role.
- Experience with federal, state and local environmental laws and regulations relating to air, water, solid waste and hazardous waste management.
- Experience with OSHA and EPA regulations with an ability to interpret and explain in a manner that is easily understood and applicable to operations personnel.
- Experience with the audit processes, root cause analysis, hazard & risk awareness, incentives, and driving employee accountability.
- Experience with incident investigations.
- Behavioral Based observations experience.
- Ability to lead, influence, motivate and manage change. Experience training and rolling out safety based training.
- Microsoft Office experience (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) for analyzing, monitoring, reporting and presentations.
- Ability to travel up to 10%.
- CSP - Certified Safety Professional
- Solid interpersonal, verbal and written communications skills
- Knowledge in maintaining critical safety programs (including power lockout, confined space, electrical safety and fall protection)
- Experience in Lean, Six Sigma or similar continuous process improvement methodology
- VPP experience or exposure.
- Ability to work both independently and in a team environment.
- ISO 14001 management system experience