The Environmental Health & Safety Supervisor is responsible for assuring environmental, health and safety compliance with local, state and federal regulations. The primary purpose of the position is to ensure that field operations are conducted in a safe and compliant manner. Oversee all site EHS engagement programs to maintain visibility of the safety program and open lines of communication with all employees.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Maintain a safe work environment in accordance with OSHA, EPA, DOT, NFPA, NIOSH, ACGIH, ANSI, etc. regulations
- Risk assessment, job safety assessments, industrial hygiene and SDS control to ensure employee safety and continuing compliance from a regulatory standpoint and assist with the preparation of site specific Health & Safety Plan (HASP)
- Conduct EHS audits, inspections, hazard assessments and investigation of violations as required and make recommendations based off findings
- Participate in Corporate EHS audits locally as a participant and at other operating locations as an auditor
- Conduct training programs and the training of staff at all levels, including hires, in company safety policies, practices and programs
- Conduct incident and accident investigations assuring corrective actions are taken to minimize or prevent similar future incidents
- Coordinate and maintain expertise on applicable State and Federal, Local regulations
- Work closely and cooperatively with Business Unit Managers and supervisors to accomplish shared goals; corporate, divisional, etc
- Work in a constructive, positive manner with a wide range of personalities and across management and organizational boundaries
- Investigate accidents/incidents and prepare a written report with conclusions and recommendations
- Maintain daily log and documentation of field activities
- Maintain safety equipment and supplies including but not limited to weekly/monthly inspections, calibrations and certifications where applicable
- Maintain operating records management system-in both paper and electronic media.
- Interact frequently with management and hourly associates to identify and solve problems
- Serve as a safety and technical resource throughout the company
- Ensure safe work permits, confined space entry permits, hot-work permits, etc. is properly completed. If not, proactively assist workers to properly complete the required paperwork before allowing the job to continue and before leaving the job site
Performs other, related duties as assigned. These are duties which may not be specifically listed in the class specification or position description, but which are within the general occupational series and responsibility level typically associated with the employee’s class of work.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: This position does not have supervisory responsibilities.
JOB LEVEL: One level.
To perform the duties of this job, the employee must have good interpersonal skills; be patient and tactful; display an enthusiastic, cooperative and friendly attitude at all times with managers/supervisors, co-workers, visitors, customers and clients.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent year’s technical field experience
- Three to five years in a health and safety role, with broad knowledge of safety related regulations
- Expertise in confined space entry and rescue
- Expertise with air monitors, SCBAs, retrieval equipment, etc.
- DOT and/or EPA compliance experience a plus
- Able to work under pressure to meet deadlines
- Able to deal with unstructured problems that require defensible decisions on complex safety and regulatory matters
- Performance of other duties and responsibilities as required by management
Certifications, licenses, registrations: None required.
Good oral communication skills to clearly understand and convey other’s message and intent, and receives and processes feedback. Ability to read, comprehend and follow instructions and work manuals. Ability to speak before groups of people including customers, visitors, or employees of the organization.
Ability to perform basic math functions using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
Ability to attend to numerous details under the stress of maintaining courteous, accurate and timely relations with a variety of individuals. Ability to apply common sense understanding in carrying out detailed written or oral instructions or requests. Ability to comprehend the consequences of various problem situations and to refer such problems to the appropriate individual for decision making.
HEALTH AND SAFETY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
While performing this job, the employee is responsible for continuous adherence to the Company’s Health & Safety Program. This includes: the health and safety of themselves and their coworkers, completing tasks in a safe manner, attending safety meetings and mandatory H&S training, and reporting any unsafe conditions, acts or unanticipated hazards to their Supervisor, General Manager or Health and Safety Specialist. Duties and responsibilities are detailed in the H&S Program Master Document and will be provided by the H&S Specialist and/or the direct supervisor during new-hire orientation, training sessions or upon request.
Employees are required to report any concerns associated with environmental compliance to their supervisor, General Manager or Environmental Manager. Employees are also required to complete training in hazardous waste management procedures, emergency response and other topics as outlined in the facility’s training program and/or an individual training matrix.
The personal and physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essestial functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee may work alone and work extended hours with frequent interruptions while handling various non-standard situations. This work requires high concentration with a moderate level of stress. Ability and proficiency in the use of computers. Ability to comprehend the consequences of various problem situations and to make sound decisions or to refer problems to appropriate people for decision-making. Employee shall at all times demonstrate cooperative behavior with co-workers, clients, customers and vendors. Occasional travel required.
To perform the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, and use a PC. Uses hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, and lift and/or move up to 60 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and ability to adjust focus. Visits to operation sites should not represent different physical demands.
The work is typically performed in a normal office environment. In the course of advising or counseling managers, supervisors, and employees, the individual may encounter aggressive or unpredicted behavior.
US Ecology is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, religion, color, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability or veteran status, among other factors.
NO THIRD PARTIES OR RECRUITERS PLEASE.