This position is responsible for establishing policies and delivering safety training and education that will create and maintain a safe workplace. Evaluates, assesses and alters safety procedures and policies for the benefit of employees.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and execute health and safety plans in the workplace according to legal guidelines
- Prepare and enforce policies to establish and maintain a culture of health and safety
- Evaluate practices, procedures, and facilities to assess risk and adherence to SunOpta safety policies and regulatory requirements
- Monitor compliance to all SunOpta health and safety policies by inspecting operations
- Ensure compliance with all regulatory bodies, standards, and laws (including OSHA, EPA, etc.)
- Inspect equipment and machinery to observe possible unsafe conditions
- Investigate accidents or incidents as needed to discover causes
- Interface with workers’ compensation carrier as needed for claims processing and support
- Recommend solutions to issues, identify improvement opportunities or new prevention measures
- Visit plant facilities and offices to conduct safety reviews of personnel, equipment and practices
- Evaluate, assess and alter safety procedures and policies for the benefit of employees
- Analyze accident reports to ensure root cause(s) have been identified
- Prepare and conduct health and safety training sessions for employees and/or assist with securing outside resources for safety training and education
- Initiate accident prevention measures
- Develop and Track meaningful incident metrics
- Research environmental regulations and policies and lead efforts to ensure compliance
- Oversee the applications for and receipt of necessary permits
- Lead development efforts of facility safety committees
- All other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
B.A. or B.S. Degree in environmental health and safety, business, or related field preferred
- Minimum of six years of safety related experience in manufacturing, food industry preferred
- Solid understanding of health and safety laws and regulations including EPA, OSHA and other relevant governmental bodies
Knowledge and Skills:
- Excellent bilingual (English/Spanish) communication skills (oral and written) and cabilities to create and deliver group training
- Solid computer skills including Word, Excel and PowerPoint with an ability to generate system reports Good knowledge of data analytics and risk assessment
- Good attention to detail and observation ability to identify hazards
- Ability to train, motivate and influence team members
Estimated at 50%.
Work Environment/Physical Demands:
Approximately 50% of work is performed in an office environment and 50% of work will involve being in a manufacturing environment.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.