The Director of EH&S is responsible for the strategy, planning and team leadership for Harvard’s Safety and Environmental Health programs. This position will work to improve the health and safety standards and practices by creating programs to improve metrics.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide strategic leadership, mentoring, coaching and performance management to a diverse team of safety professionals in support of Harvard’s operations.
- Build rapport and effective performance based relationships with Harvard management team and advise on matters related to safety and risk control. Must be able to motivate and inspire others and function as a change agent.
- Lead the development of enterprise-wide strategies for the proactive control of safety and the development and implementation of strategic business plans for the Safety group to include but not limited to:
- Provide technical safety, health support and information to all Harvard regions.
- Identify company safety training needs; develops and coordinates safety training programs.
- Develops annual safety and health goals.
- Develop, implement and maintain the Harvard program (field and office) which in turn drives the safety culture. This will be achieved by developing relevant tools to comply with regulatory and company practices.
- Develops and monitors departmental budget.
- Direct audit team reviews and provide direction while conducting physical audits. Review adherence to audit action plan schedules resulting from audits.
- Benchmark and develop leading edge metrics, auditing tools and reporting methods for all regions. Ensure accurate reporting, develop and provide appropriate reports to executive leadership. Monitor all occupational incidents and develop metrics that will identify root causes, implement effective risk control methods and reporting techniques.
- Ensure compliance with all local, state, federal legislation including but not limited to Occupational Safety and Health Administration.
- Assist in the areas of environmental, regulatory compliance, risk management and workers compensation administration within the enterprise risk management function.
- Provide guidance on facility security and assist in preparing emergency response plans and communication procedures for all Harvard regions. Assist in business continuity strategies.
- Recruit, assess, train and develop Safety and Risk Control staff to create and maintain a high performance, highly engaged team.
- Demonstrates and emulates internal and external customer-focused behavior by responding to all requests in a timely, effective, and informative basis that aligns with the companies mission, vision and core values.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned
Knowledge and Skill Requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Engineering, Occupational Health, Safety and/or Quality Assurance Required
- Master’s Degree (MBA, MS) preferred
- Must have at minimum of 10 years of experience in the Health & Safety discipline. Working experience in the areas of Health & Safety is mandatory, with progressive responsibility in managing Health & Safety for multi-site services organization
- Proven success in implementing and managing a comprehensive (HS) at local facilities and office/corporate levels.
- Working knowledge of regulatory health and safety requirements at local, state and federal levels
- Extensive experience with OSHA regulations and reporting requirements
- Risk Management background
- Strong analytical skills to evaluate facility safety awareness and behaviors. Must be able to evaluate performance metrics and establish the necessary plans to drive continuous improvement. Must be able to translate goals and objectives in to actionable plans
- OSHA 501 or 511
- CSP, CIH, CHMM, PE Professional Engineer
Harvard is offering a competitive compensation structure including benefit package with medical, dental, life, and long-term disability (LTD) insurance along with 401K Savings Plan.
Equal Opportunity Employer